Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Real Concern

So today I actually want to write about something that matters and is very dear and close to my heart, Alzheimer's disease.  This is a disease that took my grandmother from me and a mother away from her daughters and son.  It is a disease that has affected my FI's side of the family as well.  This is a terrible disease and probably one of the few things that scares me to death.  I can't even imagine being married for 40 + years and at a drop of a hat not remembering any of it or your husband.  Not remembering who any of your children are or any friends.  It was so hard to witness especially when my mom and I went for visits.  It was tough to watch my mom try and stay strong for both of us when I knew all she wanted was her mom to recognize her and be her mom again.  The same woman who won a rifle shooting contest, the woman who beared 3 children and raised them, the woman who did it all and still maintained who she was.

Alzheimer's disease, is one form of dementia that gradually gets worse over time. It affects memory, thinking, and behavior.  There are two types of Alzheimer's Disease -- early onset and late onset.
              In early onset AD, symptoms first appear before age 60. Early onset AD is much less common than late onset. However, it tends to progress rapidly. Early onset disease can run in families. Several genes have been identified.
             Late onset AD, the most common form of the disease, develops in people age 60 and older. Late onset AD may run in some families, but the role of genes is less clear.

The reason I am talking about this today is because now a days one can go see their doctor and they can perform tests on you to see if you will get it/have it.  There are no treatments for it but there are ways to slow it down.  Accepting that you have it, is the first step!  Alzheimer's diease is genetic.  Knowing that it runs in our family I have every intention of going and getting tested when I get older, however, a very close loved one of mine refuses.  I really wish that person would go.  Watching my grandmother go through it from another state was difficult and watching my Aunt (who went and took care of her everyday and sacrificed a lot) as she was the only one who lived in that state, I can't imagine what it would be like watching it first hand.  I have nightmares about it because care for this disease is a full time job.  And in care homes are insanely expensive as are care facilities!!!!!  I want this person to be around for awhile.  I want them to remember their families, husband, kids, grandchildren and friends.  I want this person to be able to tell me stories of my childhood like they have and tell me stories of my dad.  I just wish i could encourage this person to go and get tested.  Any suggestions?



Sorry to blog about something so sad but its been plaguing me as recent things have come up igniting this.  I promise tomorrow will be more upbeat. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment